
Another big object that represents a big aspect of my life and I'm sure the lives of many others is money. The reason I chose this is because I'm always thinking and looking for ways to get money, legally of course, without having to go out in search for a job. As a college student money is definitely a necessity so I have to get it.
Money has been around for a long time even before it came in the form of coins and paper. Money is anything that is commonly accepted by a group for the exchange of goods and services for another good or service. Commodity money was the main form used. It was the exchange of goods such as rice, salt, tea, etc. The problems with this was that sometimes the things were to hard to carry, people couldn't agree on what something was worth in terms of other objects for exchange or they didn't want what the other person had.
In 700BC the Lydians became the first in the western world to make coin money. This allowed people to assign the coins with a specific value. This made it easier for people to carry and most importantly be able to compare the cost of items. The earliest use of paper money dates back to China 1960AD. The first paper money was issued in the United States on March 10,1862.
The cultural effect money has is monumental. You can easily find and see "get rich quick" schemes circulating on the internet and on late night infomercials. Isn't the thought of never having to work, worry about money, and being able to avoid whatever your heart desires appeasing? This thought indeed can cause a person to do the unthinkable. "The reason I rob banks is cause thats where the money is" Willie Sutton.
Money can also cause stress. It can stress a person who is worrying about paying bills, buying food, buying clothing or buying any of the necessities they need. It also can cause stress for people who are in debt or are easily influenced or have a problem with social acceptance. Money rules the world. Society rates a person's success, power, and influence based off the amount of money someone has.
Money can also make a person's life very comfortable. It can inspire a person to work hard and do all the right things in life. There are a lot of "rags to riches" stories out there to serve as motivation. Money can also open up plenty of doors and opportunities for someone to make a positive impact on the world and to help others in need. " You sleep a lot better knowing your going to wake-up paid" -Fabolous

11 comments:
This is a topic everyone can relate to "money". I think the world revolves around it, because if you want to acquire things in life you need money. I like how you touched on the subject of how people will break laws and their own morals to achieve their goal of getting money. Such as Willie Sutton the infamous bank robber who was said to be a "polite robber".
I totally agree with Irosei1. Everyone does need money. I think it was the O Jay's that had a song about money that said people will steal from their own mother and kill their own brother for money. Money has it positives but it also has its negatives as well. Unfortunately if you don't have any money, you won't have shelter, food and other necessities that you need to survive.
Money is honey! Don't we all want that extra cash to spend on ourselves! It was really good how you interpreted money into your life and that made me want to read it, but thats all you did. There is so much history behind money you really should have tried to get into that as well. Tell the reader where money came from and how it originated in your life!
Van, great topic, and just like everyone else has said, we all can relate to having money but always needing more. I thought that your idea of mentioning the bank robber was a good move in showing, like Irosei1 said, the things that people will do for money no matter how they go about doing it. We hear and see thing's that have to do with money all the time. There are so many artist that sing/rap about music and what it means to them all the time, we all can think of at least 3 songs we know that have to do with money. I agree with akowale1, maybe touching on the history of money and how there are different currencies around the world might have been something else you could have talked about. But, good job and good topic.
Van, I think that your topic was a great one that I didn't really think of until I saw this article. I feel that money has incredible great effects and can do terrible things too.
I think that with as much as you are involved with and know about sports you might have been able to touch a little on the relationship between the too, but all in all great job.
Im happy someone chose to write on this topic. Money rules the world, and I think you did a good job expressing that, especially how you explained how money(an object) can alter peoples lives in such dramatic ways when they don't have enough. Great topic!
This is such an interesting artifact to choose because so many people can relate! I like how you added the quote from Willie Sutton. I think that you could have touched a little bit more upon what money really means, where it comes from, and the importance we place on symbolic paper.
Van, brilliant! Everything you said in your blog is pretty much the truth. We are so driven to make money, but you know, we have to be, we're "poor college studetns." Money is an object, because as you said, we are always trying to make it, and I guess that's why I baby-sit on the weekends. Good job and good topic!
Money is probably the most important artifact, without it no others could be aquired.
But I think you need to go more into the details of how money came to be and where it is made, etc.
It's unfortunate that the entire world revolves around money. some people catch lucky breaks and are set for the rest of their lives while others cant catch a break and live lives poor.
Money is something that makes the world go around. I love this topic because everybody can relate to it because money can be used in about any situation. Great blog looking foward to read more!
Post a Comment